Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Chapter 6: Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence

 Image result for The Truman Show
This week, I have begun to further my research into the drama genre, as I feel that I could make a more compelling story by making a film in the drama genre. Today I researched some genre characteristics that will help my film embody the drama genre. I have also decided to narrow down my film to be an existential drama.

One film in particular -"The Truman Show"- really helped my research. Some genre characteristics this film embodies is an emphasis on character. The film centers on Truman Burbank, and choices in the movie all surround him add to his character. The film centers on people trying to control Truman, adding into the character study of a man that slowly unravels after being watched for his entire life. 

Each choice in the film serves a larger purpose in diving deeper into the character study of Truman. The scenes at the beginning establish what Truman already knows, and that he is oblivious to the fact that he's on a television show. The cuts to the audience establish that Truman is being watched, which provide reason for both Truman's realisation of his situation and the production company trying to maintain order and keep Truman from finding out about this situation. Every scene plays into how Truman eventually figures out what's going on, which plays into the idea of "having an end in mind", as well as keeping the focus on Truman.

The way that the film centers around Truman is integral to keeping with the type of drama this film tries to be. I intend on also doing a film that focuses on character, and I would like to use techniques that "The Truman Show" has laid out. I intend on working to develop character from start to finish, and use all my techniques to better focus on that development. As "The Truman Show" has established, a character study works best if all techniques work in unison to develop character.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 29: CCR

 It's here! The CCR is here! It's been a wild ride, and I am sad to close out this journey. Thank you for following along on our lit...